Saturday, March 28, 2009

Yardwork and Jicama, Round Three

Today I undertook another new task: yardwork. I have never enjoyed working in the yard. I hate bugs and, as the dirt, flowers, grass, and trees seem to be their realm, I usually make a concerted effort to give them their space and keep to mine. Well, I refuse to let Michele return to a mess of a house or yard, so I endeavored to do some spring clean up of the backyard today. I knew, once I started, that my neighbor, Rita, wouldn't be able to resist coming out and assisting and advising me. Once we got past my initial fear that I may have touched a worm, we actually had a really good time. I hadn't realized how hard raking is, though, and am really sore! Rita and I, hopefully with my stepmother, Gloria's help, have many plans for the yard. I'm actually pretty excited about getting out there again!

On a completely unrelated note, my first two tries of jicama were incredibly distasteful. I, however, was set on giving it at least three tries before writing it off. Wonder of wonders, but in the mail this week I received the latest issue of Clean Eating and there was an article about the health benefits of jicama and two yummy-sounding recipes. I felt that it must be fate, so I tried one of the recipes. I don't know what was wrong with the jicama that I used in my first two attempts, but the one I bought today was delicious! The Spicy Jicama Salad recipe I tried was absolutely divine!! Jicama, through trial and tribulation, has become one of my favorite veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails