Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tomatoes, Two Ways

Yesterday, I ate the juiciest, sweetest, most delicious tomato I have ever tasted. One of my Sweet Cherry 100s was a really vibrant red and I just had to try it. It was like tomato heaven exploding in my mouth.

My Best Boys are very prolific, but still very green. I read some advice that removing some of the fruit will divert all the energy to those left on the vine and they will red up faster, so I made plans to have more fried green tomatoes and came up with a new recipe (if not new, then one I'd never heard of before): Fried Green Tomato Parmesan. It's like Eggplant Parmesan, except with green tomatoes instead of eggplant. Now the only problem was that I had no idea how to make Eggplant Parmesan. I didn't let that stop me, however! I made the tomatoes just as I did before, except I added Parmesan cheese to the flour coating, then fried them up. I also made my homemade pasta sauce - though not with any produce from my garden. Arranged over some angel hair pasta, the Tomato Parmesan and sauce were scrumptious!!

And, regarding the reddening of the rest of the Best Boys, I picked the tomatoes for this recipe on Sunday and when I got home from work yesterday, one of the tomatoes on the vine were tinged with red! So, those few I picked made a sacrifice for their tomato brethren and I ate them with gusto for their valor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails