Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Giving Junk Mail a Swift Kick in the Pants


OK, one of my missions in life is to do less work. Another is to live lightly on the earth. Well, I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like within the last year, Michele and I have been getting massive amounts of junk mail. And it's my job to sort through it and shred what needs shredding and recycle everything that I can. My recycling bin is about 95% junk mail and I'm really sick of it. So, I decided to find that buttom I can push to sock junk mail right in the jaw. Yeah, right! It's not an easy job to stop getting junk mail at all, but I think I've taken all the steps needed and I thought I'd share them with you.
  1. Go to donotmail.org and fill in their form. They will auto-populate the letters that you need to send to the mailing lists to get your name off them.
  2. Go to DMAchoice.org and register with them. They will (1) help you stop being added to new lists and (2) direct you to contact information for getting off lists you are on because you have purchased products from the company or because you once requested a catalog or something.
  3. Look through your junk mail and catalogs and contact the individual companies you are receiving stuff from who are not registered with DMA.
It doesn't work immediately, and it takes a lot of time to do it all, but I'm hopeful that it will (1) save me time in sorting through it all and (2) save some trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails