Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Short Addendum to Vacation Day Three: Rhode Island

As I mentioned yesterday, we were pretty obsessed with finding the Rhode Island Greenings during our apple picking venture. Well, since my dad's side of the family is from Rhode Island, I feel a particular connection to that apple - though last weekend was the first time I'd ever heard of it. Though we didn't find the apple, I did find out some interesting bits about it and about RI in general:

    The oh so sought after RI Greening 
  • The Rhode Island Greening was the first named apple in America and is the official state fruit of Rhode Island.
  • Greenings are the perfect apple to make apple slumps with - I have no idea what an apple slump is, but if we'd found some Greenings, I certainly would have made a slump or two.
  • Rhode Island's official state name is The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, which is the longest official name of any US State - which is very funny because Rhode Island is the smallest state!
  • Rhode Island was the first of the 13 colonies to declare independence from Britian and the last to ratify the US constitution.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dessert-recipes/Apple-Slump

    yum! I might have to make some, RI Greening apples or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like apple.Thank you for bringing such nice posts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails